Saturday 4 July 2015

Who'd hatch from an egg like this?

Who'd hatch from an egg like this? I don't know! Although a search on the interweb leads me to believe it could be a Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus) or a Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto) or a Green Woodpecker (Picus viridis) or maybe a Short Eared Owl (Asio flammeus) or, or...... Ah the interweb, useful up to a point. Anyway, I found this egg on the woodland floor in Chettle Head Copse, it hadn't hatched, nor was it damaged. I couldn't see any nest above, in fact the above it the canopy was thin. It was cold, although didn't look like it had been lying there for too long. Well, it's a mystery to me. Birds and their eggs are something I need to educate myself on, it's certainly gap in my natural world knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment