Friday 31 July 2015

The Hills

Half a mile and maybe 30 years or so (judging by the possible ages of the individual scaring) separate these two pieces of graffiti with the same name.  Both are carved into Beech trees, though no surprise there, naturally Beech is by far the most popular canvas. The isolated nature of the area, set in the open rolling rural landscape of the Chase, suggest to me that the two pieces are related to the same family. G. Hill is the older, as I've said before aging graffiti is difficult due to the multiple variables although I'd say it's from the 70's/80's? Whereas J. Hill is conveniently dated 98, and of course that'll be 1998 not 1898, graffiti of that period never have the date abbreviated and the text is usually of high quality and indicative of the period. Of course I'll never know and they could be totally unrelated, but as with all graffiti I'd love to know their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment