Saturday 4 July 2015

Feeders

The label on the side read 'This equipment is part of a wildlife research project; PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH' so I didn't, though I was intrigued as to what their function may be and to what the research project is. I saw several scattered through Chettle Head Copse, a small deciduous wood of maturing Oaks of varying ages (maximum about 200 years old) with a coppiced Hazel under-story with Ramson floor coverage; one I saw had the number '19' on it, so I imagine there's at least that number in the wood. After a while examining the box I really couldn't work out how it worked or their purpose; all the boxes were filled to the same level with dried corn nibblets, the only access appeared to be via the hinged lid beyond which the unit was sealed. I wonder what species they're researching? I can only imagine it's Squirrels or another mammal, as I can't see a bird opening or risking opening a box like this. I checked out around the host trees and could see no sign of nibblets or signs of animal activity. That said, all the boxes look newly placed so maybe the research has only recently begun. Next time over this way (as unobtrusively as I can, there is a footpath which passes through the copse and close to a couple of the boxes) and see if any thing's changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment