Wednesday 15 July 2015

Saga: Vol:1

I'd read good things about Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples and then was lucky enough to be gifted a copy by a good friend. Which was nice. Now, this friend tends to go for the less mainstream, more independent titles and has a track record of highlighting good reads (I too enjoy independent titles although spend a lot of my time reading in the Marvel/DC universes), so was looking forward to the read. I wasn't to be disappointed, the opening panel had be laughing straight off with the opening line 'Am I shitting', not what you expect to read. The tale in Saga is timeless, horned boy meets winged girl, both from different worlds pitched in an endless war with each other, they have a baby and for the reasons you'd imagine have to get the hell out of Dodge as everybody wants the baby. This is a gloriously written and illustrated melding of traditional tale, fantasy and science fiction into a most engaging read. You've got horned types, winged types, dead folk, half robot types, magic, bounty hunters, organic spacecraft and so much more; what's not to like. I look forward to reading more.    

No comments:

Post a Comment