Tuesday 21 July 2015

Nuts

I can't remember such a promising year for Hazel nuts, it appears nearly every tree has a bumper crop of nuts weighing down their boughs and of a good size. This year for the first time we've got nuts coming on our garden Hazels and they've good sized nuts too; the oldest of our trees is about 6 years old and has now reached a fair size, say about 4m high, they can reach about 12m; though I'll have coppiced it before then. Left to grow naturally a Hazel has around an 80 year lifespan, although if coppiced you can extend that to several hundred years. I think the oldest in Britain is about 500 years or so old.  I said ' promising year' as it's not harvesting time yet and I don't like counting my chickens and all that. If it is good mind, I've got lots of ideas and things I want to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment