Friday 31 July 2015

Access rant

We were over halfway through our walk today and had just walked up a steep hill, the sun beating down on us, when we reached the stile only to find there was no dog portal. This is a common problem when out walking. You'll be following designated footpaths, through gates and over stiles, no problems and then come to a stile with no dog access and you're stumped, you're hunting around for a solution. Over? Under? Through? Today there was no over, no under, no through and no alternative. My options were limited. Lift Norris? No, he's a big fella and either of us could get hurt. No, another solution had to be found. Luckily I carry a variety of tools and things. So I pulled out one of the galvanized staples securing the bottom of the wire fence and using some force managed pull it up enough to allow Norris through. Of course I then replaced the staple and secured the wire. The point is I shouldn't have too, the custodians of the land should ensure access or people should be allowed to take what action the need to proceed on their route. Most people wouldn't have had any tools with them and would've had to back track some distance and then find an alternative route. If you want people to stick to the paths ensure they're accessible or we'll find alternative paths where we can. I know that's a bit rich coming from me with my frequent off path routes, though the point still stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment