Thursday 11 June 2015

Hawkeye: My life as a weapon.

I received several graphic novels at Christmas, though with one thing and another I'd not got around to reading any of them; this being very remiss of me I though I'd rectify the situation. The first one I went for was Hawkeye; My life as a weapon, written by Matt Fraction, art by David Aja and Javier Pulido. For me Hawkeye's always been a bit player in the comics/graphics I've read and I've not been too happy with his depiction in recent movie outings (most recent exclude as I've not seen it yet). I didn't really know his character that well, so it was nice to get a better insight into his character through a graphic which centers on him and his escapades. This is Clint Barton Hawkeye. My life as a weapon explores Bartons world, he's got no super powers though is highly trained and experienced in what he does, no magic, he's a ordinary hero with a bit of cash and some good/ powerful connections. Barton's a down to earth sort of guy, a street fighting type who takes his fair share of knocks and isn't adverse to a humorous quip or smart mouthed comment.  Although an Avenger, Barton lives away from the mansion, an outsider by desire, often working alone or with Kate Bishop (another to take up the Hawkeye mantle) fighting organized crime when not fighting super powered villains with the Avengers. This is not an origins story but it does give you a good insight in to Hawkeyes character and lifestyle.

The art is great, old school style yet simultaneously bang up to date, really engaging and Fractions writing too is top notch; well worth a read. My life as a weapon is Vol.1, Vol.2 is definitely now on my wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment