Wednesday 17 June 2015

Bee Orchids

The main purpose of my walk over this way a week or so ago was to see some Bee Orchids (Ophrys apifera), although checking my past posts I was still a bit early, today though my mission was more successful, some had flowered and I was lucky enough to spot them. The Bee Orchid really is a spectacular flower, one of my favourite orchids and one that I'll actively seek out when its season comes around, as its habit is such that it can be abundant for a year or two and then absent for many.  As it happens, last year there was an abundance of Bee Orchids in the spots I know, whereas this year so far they've been scarce. There are several varieties of Bee Orchids, this variety is (Ophrys apifera aurita), it's the only one I've come across to date, though I'll keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment