Wednesday 17 June 2015

Coastal cloud

It was a sweltering day in the Purbeck Hills, for the outward section of our walk we stuck to the shade afforded by the thick canopied deciduous woodland on the inland side of Brenscombe and Godlingston Hills, which was nice, humid but nice. We scrambled along thin animal tracks for the most part as there aren't that many path in much of these woods, using the trees as support and a means of not careering down the steep hillside. The latter wooded section under Godlingston Hill is relatively new walking to me, having only recently been unenclosed by fencing; I'm not sure if there's permissive access, though I took the opportunity to walk there anyway, they can always tell me to 'get orf my land'. Although lovely views, we weren't so fortunate with shade on our return along the ridge, totally exposed the walking was hot and tiring work, our only salvation being the cooling winds coming in from the west. Still, I mustn't complain, as from our vantage point on the high hills we could see that across the Corfe valley the coastal ridge and cliffs were shrouded in thick low cloud and I'd imagine very limited visibility was to be had making for a totally different walking experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment