Monday 8 June 2015

Greater Butterfly Orchid

I added another orchid to my 'orchids what I have found list'; todays addition was the Greater Butterfly Orchid (Platantherachlorantha), a new one on me. I only spied 5 flower spikes though they all stood out, all fighting for space and light amongst the clutter of a chalk grassland thicket that makes up part of Vernditch chase, particularly now in summer when the landscape really comes to life. It may not be as colourful as others I've come across, but it certainly has a striking form; the Greater Butterfly Orchid's quite tall at about 35cm or so, crowned with a long cluster of large greenish white flowers, each flower sporting a long tongue at the front and a very long spur to the rear and I understand they smell of vanilla, although due to a bit of hay fever I couldn't detect any scent. What a lovely find though.

No comments:

Post a Comment