Friday 2 September 2022

Red Bolete

 
I'll admit to wondering how much of a mushroom season we'd enjoy after our arid summer; though I've been pleasantly surprised by the range of fungi forcing their way through the hardened forest floor; of course a few mushrooms does not a good season make. On one of the broad grass tracks which cross Burley Old we came upon a cluster of small red boletes; I didn't want to disturb them after what must have been a heroic effort, though I think they may have been either boletus pinicola or boletus versicolor.  The grassy track bisects coniferous and broad leaf blocks, pinicola favours the former whilst versicolor the latter. That said, they may have been another variety, as I didn't examine them and so could not give a definitive identification.

No comments:

Post a Comment