Tuesday 6 September 2022

Lost and found

Archaeology is rubbish the title of one of the Time Team's books reads, and of course a lot of the time it is, other times it's things that are purposely deposited or more often though lost. I can't remember the number of knifes I've found in the forest (and I've lost a few too); often quite degraded and well beyond use, they were once a persons beloved and much used tool. I came across this example today just beyond the bank of Red Rise Brook, in a spot I've passed hundreds of times; yet I've never noticed this old knife lying there, and it's clearly quite old judging by it's condition. I suppose it's well camouflaged colour wise which may explain why I'd not clocked it previously, that or it may have been recently disturbed by animals from the nearby undergrowth. It's an odd looking knife, with a blunt rounded tip like an Opinel No7, I can't make it out; I suppose it could be a razor or similar. Left exposed it'll not make it to become a future archaeological find, that said even buried in these acidic sandy soils it wouldn't last beyond an ephemeral stain. Interesting find though; I'll keep my eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment