Tuesday 20 September 2022

Git orf moi land!

I've noticed, or maybe I've just perceived, a slow decrease in the volume of people in the forest this year; the Covid years 20/21 saw visitor numbers explode, as the forest suddenly became everybody's favourite place. I'll admit to being worried about that, the consequences on nature, damage to the infrastructure (for what it is), and the ambience of the place; as well as, if I'm honest, my own selfish interests. After all, this is my forest; git orf moi land! Of course it's not, I'm just being silly, but I'm sure you know what I mean; we all enjoy a very personal relationship with the land we're connected to, so it's only natural to fear that land and relationship jeopardized by change, especially when you see it threatened, and the forest did see increase wear and tear, damage, animal issues as well as rubbish. I understand that a lot of those negative behaviours were through much of society's lack of socialization to the natural world, but negative they were nonetheless. Although as the opportunities of the wider world opened up again, and the reality of the winter forest became apparent, for many the glamour of the forest wore off; lightweights. There's still more folk about than there used to be, and that's cool, I'm not really a 'nimbyist'. I imagine many of those folk have had their hearts stolen by the forest too; it feels like they're kindred spirits if you will, rather that encouraged here as a 'tourist destination', or through convenience or lack of alternative. Anyway, again Geoff and I can walk for miles amongst the stands rarely seeing another soul, and between those we do pass a knowing smile is shared, kindred spirits like I said. I would like to reiterate though..... git orf moi land!

No comments:

Post a Comment