Thursday 27 October 2022

Galloping

 
We were just breaking Red Rise Shade and after chilling by the brook I was lost in thought, when out of nowhere about a dozen galloping ponies passed within a few meters of us, followed by handful more, then shortly after a further two small groups and finally a two pony rear guard*.  They charged through the stands into the open gorse pocked heath and up towards the sunken trackway on Rock Hills and on to Spy Holms without pausing or deviation from purpose. Geoff was all of a dither, he didn't know what to make of it or do, I'll admit to feeling similarly; their sudden appearance so close, and my concerns for Geoff's safety was quite the adrenaline rush; as they vanished into the distance I felt as if I'd absorbed some of their energy as they'd passed. Clearly my fight or flight response had been triggered; moments like this and your instinctive reactions to them reminds you you're a human animal. A few minutes later upon reaching Spy Holms ourselves we found the ponies now tranquilly grazing without a care in the world.

*I noted that 'tail end Charlie' was a stallion, just an observation

No comments:

Post a Comment