Wednesday 26 October 2022

Connections

I've always felt a deep connection to the natural world. Most of my childhood was spent outside building camps, exploring, having adventures and wild camping (initially not with great success mind); once whilst visiting the Lake District experiencing the strangest feeling that I even wanted to be part of that landscape, not live in, but actually be it. On reflection that may have been the dawning of the realization that I was part of it. Socialization to nature is essential; it was through exposure and play that my love of the natural world, it's inhabitants and mysteries was kindled and nurtured. In recent times I've leaned heavily into my connection with the natural world, and have taken refuge in it and solace from it. As for many, one way and another the last few years have been tough, and through necessity and my natural proclivity to withdraw, I've become complicit in own social erasure. Where once I had a rich and rewarding social life, now I've lost connection with cherished people, special groups and valued communities; the distance caused through shielding and isolation having bled into disconnection, a loss of confidence and identity. I'm sure it's a situation experienced by many. I'm lucky though. To have access to the natural world, and such fine facets of it too, so close a hand as I do has been a blessing; I don't know how I'd have fared without it. I will say that the last few years have further developed and deepened my connection to the land and seasons; I would one day though like to rejoin the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment