Monday 21 January 2019

Wooden trackway

I followed a feint track through Burley Old, the track maybe feint, though it's old too and I've trodden for years, it winds around woodland features and obstacles, and also appears to have been recently and deliberately cleared of leaves in sections, or maybe I'm seeing what I want to. The track continues to wind on through the stands, over one of the grassed forestry tracks where it crosses the head of a shallow, and seasonally wet, hollow. When it's wet you just deviate the path and avoid the damp patch, merely another wind in the track, I've done it many times. No, someone has purposely, and with effort and consideration, build a short section of wooden trackway. The track is made of branches roughly the same gauge, and the same length. A lot of unnecessary effort, to my mind anyway. Another woodland anomaly, I often come across them, just someone taken with an idea. Though in this case maybe not, as after the hollow the track leads on towards the deliberate clearing I came across a while ago. I wonder if the track winding through the stands, freshly cleared, the wooden trackway and the clearing are all connected? It's possible. Maybe, as I mused, an eleborate and romantic marriage proposal. Maybe something more pagan, maybe someone's creating a ritual pathway, a symbolic journey of some sort, whatever it is, these things are being created for a reason, connected or not, though I feel the former. I'm going to be extra vigilant as I walk, see if I can find anymore bits of the puzzle, if there are any to be found.  Whatever, it just adds another layer of magic and mystery to my already wondrous forest roams.

No comments:

Post a Comment