Thursday 24 January 2019

Modern Archaeology

A while ago whilst wandering along Markway Hill I came across some steelwork sticking our of the hillside, threaded bar with a tensioner or something on it. The archaeologist in me loves finding things, and I wondered what it might be. After some thought I came the conclusion it was a anchor end of a wire anchor guy, and must be the remains of a pole carrying telephone or electricity cables. I checked on my forest maps, I have a few different 20th century OS's, though none showed any services. Still, I was sure that was what it represented. Today whilst out walking along Markway Hill towards Rock Hills we wandered through the area burnt in May 2017 and I noticed something protruding from the ground. On inspection it turns out to be an insulator, for telephone or electricity, I'm not sure which. What I do know is that it's made of Bakelite and looks to have carried 2 cables, which, if I'm right, may suggest telephone cables. An illuminating find though, which certainly adds credence to my pole carrying telephone or electricity cables theory. That's archaeology for you, a puzzle, you  need to find the pieces to build the picture. The more pieces, the clearer the picture. I'll keep on looking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment