Tuesday 29 January 2019

Really?

Who the bally heck had the bright idea of producing a 7'' single with a 45rpm side and a 33.3rpm side? Why is that a thing? Why would you do that?  I've never come across a single like this before, or I can't remember anyway. The whys aside, I picked up a groovy 7'' single in a charity shop today; Ten Year After's 1970 'Love Like a Man', one side the studio version at 45rpm, and on the other a version recorded live at 33.3rpm. Although the labels have been defaced with scribble, the actual disc plays clean. It's a great single, a great track, from a classic British blues rock band of the late 1960's early 1970's and both versions are good listening. If you have to change the belt to change the speed on your turntable, as I do, I'm still confused as to whether this single is hindrance or help. Still, nice find.

No comments:

Post a Comment