Thursday 17 January 2019

Stag Party

We (Geoff and I) came across this stag party of eight along Uber Water this afternoon. Passing real close to them, they didn't seem too bothered by us, they watched us carefully though held their ground. A couple had nicely developed racks, the rest, antlers of various sizes; antler size does not represent age, more the health of the deer. New antler are grown each year in only a couple of months, ready for mating season. These antlers will undoubtedly be last seasons antlers, ready for shedding any time now, and then in April we'll see the new ones develop. A wonderful sight, indeed. I wonder if they were watching me knowing I've taken that skull and rack from the forest for a project, I promised I'd return them and later in the year I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment