Sunday 27 January 2019

The Incongruous Beech

I enjoy my meetings with the magical Incongruous Beech. Tucked away as she is in a woodland of predominantly Ash and semi neglected Hazel coppice, she stands proud, towering above her peers, a majestic leviathan with no competition in sight, and respected by those around her who keep their distance. She's a bare naked lady at this time of year, the tangled intricacies of her myriad branches easier to explore. It's striking the difference between natural form trees, and those I'm more used to seeing, which were historically grown and nurtured for timber, far cleaner trunks. It's rarer to see these wilder more free growing forms in the forest, although when you do I think it'd reasonable to assume they stand outside of forestry practices, so are possibly older too. A lovely tree, I look forward to enjoying her dappled shade when spring arrives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment