Tuesday 8 January 2019

Danger marker

Studland is an oasis of tranquillity, especially through the winter when the beach and dunes are bereft of sun worshippers. It's difficult to imagine that the area was so contaminated with ordinance of ever calibre ofter World War 2, that it took nearly two decades for the beach to be opened again to the public, and even then there were areas that were deemed unsafe. It was Ukrainians who cleared the dunes of rockets and shells, rather that than return and face Uncle Joe. The interior which was still thought unsafe was marked by concrete markers. Over the years several have disappeared under the shifting dune, others though remain visible, spaced about 5m apart, some still even display the remnants of red paint. I don't know whether the whole things were painted red or a red band was painted around them, or whether the word 'Danger' was painted on them, I know it's in my head, I've come here all my life and I remember them, I just can't access that particular memory.  A few years back, whilst surveying and searching for Second World War remains, I had call to contact Bomb Disposal after discovering the tail fins of a bombardment rocket sticking out from the dunes at 45 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment