Sunday 1 May 2016

Up on the Tor

As I drove through Glastonbury on my way to the base of the Tor this morning, I could see groups of people heading off to make the same climb I was about to. Traditionally I've parked at the base of the eastern side of the tor and scrambled up the steep side rather than take the longer, if less severe, path up the spine, today was to be no different. The hillside was damp and viscus, as well as being bloody steep, I passed the one remaining side of the tree that had split in half over 25 years ago, with the other falling year before last and began my scramble up the daunting slope.  I was out of breath as a reached the summit and heard the familiar voice of Rollo, Archdruid of the Glastonbury order of Druids who was to lead this mornings Beltaine ceremony. Rollo led the first Druid ceremonies I attended, and although not always thorough, and his rituals can be loose with bits often omitted, they are always done with honestly and with love.  Today the ritual was particularly loose, but with good reason, last year Donna (Rollos long time partner and an Archdruidess) died and this morning he was to spread some of her ashes. Rollo was clearly anxious. I first met Donna in the early 90's and regularly saw her at ceremonies, she was a lovely friendly person and I was saddened to hear of her passing. You'd be sure to see her atop Glastonbury Tor at Beltaine, so this mornings ceremony was particularly poignant.  
Dreow Archdruid of Avalon arrived to lend a hand, and after some initial banter between Rollo and Dreow, Dreow called for peace in the quarters, Rollo read some words, the acting Archdruidess of the order recited a poem Donna liked and her ashes were spread. It was a nice ceremony, moving, Rollo was clearly moved. Three cheers were given for Beltaine, and we waited for the guest of honour, the Sun. I know there'd been some antagonism between elements of Glastonbury Druidry in the past over titles and roles. I wasn't party to the details, other than what I'd heard bandied about, the gossip and what was written in the media, social and printed. But Dreows' support this morning was a nice gesture. Yeah, there was something there, but both men were true Druids, navigating and negotiating the situation with honour, using language and words with great skill. It was masterful druidry.  
Whilst the ceremony went on other groups and individual carried out their own observances, a group of women softy sang, three druids stood in meditation, a woman chanted, drummers drummed and guitarists strummed, dogs barked, incense wafted through the crowd and the Tor was alive with the sights, sounds and smells of interesting folk, many dressed flamboyantly for the occasion. A top morning, in good company and then the sun rose to the cheers of the assembled. 
With the ceremony over and the sun risen it was time for the Morris. The Cam Valley Morris have been performing on Glastonbury Tor at Beltaine since before I can remember, and I've been attending for 26 years! There was another Morris with them this morning whose name, regrettably,  I didn't catch. Both Morris put on a Stirling traditional performance only lightly clothed in what was the chilling cold, dancing the handed steps in patterns danced for centuries, waving their hankies and cracking their sticks. They danced for some time, in several formations, all to a fiddle and accordion. Beautiful, man. It's great to see traditional crafts practiced and brought to the public as they'd have been done more widely in the past, before we neglected and forgot our traditions. You'll have folk tell you ''it's Europes' fault or immigrants'', bollocks, we'd let our traditions fade and die long before Europe, and we've always had immigration. No, we blame others born out of our own guilt, it would be better if stopped and we learnt the old ways, what is lost could be found.  
And with Morris came the man of the moment, the green man.  What a great morning, a lovely ceremony, a beautiful sunrise and great entertainment. You couldn't wish for more. I wandered back down the hillside, past the egg stone and its accompanying brightly festooned Hawthorn trees, a big smile on my face. I enjoyed a Beltaine blessing, for sure.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely article with great pictures, one which made me feel I was up there with you at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely article with great pictures, one which made me feel I was up there with you at times.

    ReplyDelete