Sunday 22 May 2016

Ouzo Bazooka @ The Anvil, Bournemouth

I'll just say from the start, wow! From the moment Ouzo Bazooka began to play and I heard Dani Ever HaDani hit the keys, I knew I was going to love Ouzo Bazooka. I wasn't wrong. Ouzo Bazooka are a four piece out of Tel Aviv who describe themselves as Mediterranean psych rock, I'll just describe them as bloody marvellous. Actually their description is apt, the markers of psych and rock are all definitely present, but also a very distinctive cultural signature which marks their psychedelic sound out as unique. Ouzo Bazooka are: Uri Kinrot on lead vocals and guitar who makes a great front man, Adam Schefflan on bass who delivers some stirling bass work, as does Ira Raviv on drums, who looked tripped out by the whole thing, and Dani Ever HaDani on keyboards, I really loved Dani's keyboard sounds. They're all great musicians. Every track was a perfect package of psych bundled up in a original way, with each track delivered via a clean tight sound. Many of the tracks were from their latest album 'Simoom' (of which I picked up a copy at the gig) which is pure bliss and has been played several times already. My only complaint is that 'Simoom' doesn't properly convey the energy of the band as I experienced them live. Though that's a regular complaint of mine, I do love the energy of live music. I will certainly get out to see them again if they're playing in these parts. Ouzo Bazooka, a really pleasant find, loved them.

Check them out:
https://ouzobazooka.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment