Friday 22 February 2019

Gregory Curvey lino cut print

I first came across Gregory Curvey's work through a Fruits de Mer compilation CD in a friends car which happened to contain a track from his band The Luck of Eden Hall. It was an instant hit with me and had me pre-ordering the bands next album as soon as I got home. That was a good buy, as have been subsequent releases. Gregory is an artisan musician of the highest calibre, accomplished across the arts, as part of an ensemble or as a solo artist he's a much in demand talented multi instrument musician, beyond that he's also a fabulous artist, imaginative designer and craftsman... and to cap it all he's a nice guy. I think he's a fecking ace artist, I'd place him right up there alongside Todd Rundgren (my absolute favourite musician). His latest solo release under the name Custard Flux 'Helium' on which he wrote, produced and played all the instruments as well as reconstructing the harmonium the album was based around was a tour de force, and if you haven't checked it out, do so, you too will be blown away. Though I digress. As I mentioned Gregory's also has extensive craft skills and is a wonderful artist, so the opportunity to acquire a piece of original Curvey art was not to be missed. A couple of weeks ago he'd posted some pictures of a Valentines lino cut print he was working on, lovely. Lino cut prints, like their forebears woodcuts, use lines judiciously to best convey subjects and feeling to best effect, and Gregory's 'Love' carved into an tree does that perfectly.  Curvey posted that the prints were available from Michigan's Blue Sparrow Art, so I ordered one. The shop owner was really nice, helpful too and on discussing postage from the states (a repeating bugbear of mine especially in relation to bandcamp) I decided to trust the postal gods and have it sent letter post. The gods smiled on me and my lino cut print arrived this morning, and wonderful it is too. There's nothing like an original piece of art, I think it's the tiny little organic details which are smoothed out in most reproduction, that, and of course, it's real. Don't take my work though, check out Blue Sparrow Art and pick up a print yourself, you wont be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment