Saturday 16 February 2019

Burley Old clearing

Last month I posted about an enclosed cleared area I'd come across in Burley Old Enclosure, and I'd speculated as to its purpose.  One proposition I put forward was it might have been ritual and in some way associated with other man made (or enhanced) features that felt congruous to each other. I visit the clearing today, and what I discovered certainly lends some credence to that hypothesis. There's a fallen tree that truncates part of the cleared area, on it had been placed a natural wooden plate, on which were the remains of an offering of seeds. Quite significant, as a couple of weeks ago it was Imbolc marking the beginning of Spring, seeds are often used in Imbolc rituals or as seasonal offerings. It's certainly a great woodland setting for a ritual. I wonder if there'll be any activity at the equinox? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment