Wednesday 8 August 2018

Sign of the times

We're nearing summers end, and as I mentioned yesterday, autumn's coming, and it's outriders are already arriving. Beefsteak fungi (Fistulina hepatica) typically appear in late summer, staying until mid autumn, to me they're a sign of things changing and summers twilight. I've eaten them in the past (although probably not cooked them as effectively as I should have, and they weren't young ones like this), young ones are best for eating and need to be cooked well (particularly so as they age and toughen), they tend to look a touch gammy as they get older, a bit slimy, and as it's name implies, a bit meaty. When young and fresh it has quite an alien appearance, as it ages it takes on a more familiar bracket appearance. It's one on my 'safe-ish' list, edible and hard to wrongly identify. That said, remember, never collect and certainly don't consume ANY mushroom you are not 110% certain you've identified correctly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment