Monday 13 August 2018

Knopper Oak Galls

More acorns have developed that I thought would this season, although for the most part they're smaller and fewer than last year. What I have noticed is that there are a huge number of Knopper Galls about this season, many many more than I've ever seen before. I first noticed how many were about over the common (Chewton) and thought that might represent a localized increase, though now I've have seen them throughout the forest. I don't know if that's something to be worried about, you see the Knopper is a recent arrival, first appearing in the 1960's, though only really becoming established and widespread in the last 30 years. I don't know if they have any predators to control their spread, or if left unchecked they could be another threat to our tree population. We really don't need any more threats to our trees. Knopper Oak Galls (Andricus quercuscalicis) form on acorns distorting them into the above distinctive form, they're caused Cynipid gall wasps creating a safe home to lay their eggs. I've seen plenty of Knopper Oak Galls over the years, though never seen (to my knowledge) a gall wasp.  I read somewhere that all round it's been a bumper year for insects, and what you see out and about would support that.

No comments:

Post a Comment