Thursday 2 August 2018

Crabby

The forest's Crab Apple Trees (Malus sylvestris) are festooned with small fruits, like over zealously decorated Christmas trees. It looks like it's going to be a good year for crab apples. Thing is what to do with them? I know there are things you 'can' do with them, jelly for instance, it's just they're so damn tart, and with even the smallest bite is capable of extracting all the moister from your mouth, should you. I used to think no, Crab Apple jelly was as far as I'd go, good, though with limited application. Then I discovered there was more to Crab Apples than just jelly. You can also do a Crab Apple gin/vodka style thing with them, make tiny toffee apples, pie filling, fruit leather and syrup from them. I read you can even pickle them! Well, that's opened up a whole world of possibilities, man, bring forth the appleocalypse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment