Thursday 4 February 2016

Spotted!

A medium herd of Deer roamed about the wet heath between Holm Hill and Ober Water. I'd managed to get quite close to them after a while, though I knew I was on a loser from the start; I was approaching up wind. The Deer smelt me long before I'd seen them, or they'd seen me, I was still a ways off (don't misunderstand me, I don't smell or anything, beyond human). As soon as I saw them I ducked down and changed my course, luckily the ground is undulous and as the deer were gathered just beyond a small rise on the edge of Crab Tree Bog. I was afforded some cover. Also, the heather on this part of the heath is old and leggy, and with all the ditches and hollows it was easy to move through. When finally I put my head up, the deer were not to far in front of me. Had I been a hunter, I reckon I'd of had a good chance of bagging one. Well, I would, wouldn't I. Although, in reality, I'd more likely be chewing heather for my meal. Still, it's a good exercise, stalking, you take in more of your surroundings, your senses are come alive. It's exercising that primal part of us buried deep deep beneath layer of modernity and disconnection. 

1 comment: