Sunday 7 February 2016

Obstacles

The forest at this time of year presents plenty of watery obstacles and it wasn't long before I was afforded this opportunity to get wet.  No doubt at one time a reasonably solid wooden crossing was in place, although it has now become a far more fluid structure, see-sawing or half floating, it affords little stability. I knew it wasn't going to go well, but still took a chance (really I had no alternative, the ground is saturated for tens of meters in each direction. I trod on the long piece of wood in the middle it spun, twisted and see-sawed all in an instant, and a wet foot was the result as I stood shin deep in peaty water.  I laughed, it's just the forest having fun with me.  Ten minutes later I had the opportunity to soak my other foot by slipping into a ditch. Of course, I took it, it would be rude not to. So, with two soaking feet, in soaked boots I continued for a further 3 miles. Good walking.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I couldn't be there to fling myself headlong into a flooded ditch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, man, my getting wet was a homage to you :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry I couldn't be there to fling myself headlong into a flooded ditch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete