Saturday 13 February 2016

Jupiter's Legacy

I've always loved Frank Quitelys' artwork, ever since I first saw it, and most of Mark Millars' work I've enjoyed.  So Jupiter's Legacy seemed a good choice. I wasn't wrong. Millars' writing is on good form in this story of two generations of flawed superheroes, incorporating plenty of traditional elements. There's the conflict between the two generations and how they see their powers, conflict within the older superheroes as to how they see their powers and what the future should look like, corrupting power, egos, messed up families, and of course forbidden love. We're briefly given the origins of the original (older generation) heroes, and see how the younger generation have become decadent and lost. Then it all kicks off. I can't say much more without going into detail, and that would spoil your read. Familiar themes or not, it's a good read. Really, if Quitely's the artist I'll by the graphic just for that. Quitelys' art is, as always, just marvellous, I don't know what it is about it, it's just right. I think that it remind me so of the art from the early 80's 2000AD. Every line is sharp and clean, no excess, space is well used to create atmosphere and sense of scale, everything you need is there.  The characters faces and postures impart so much about them and of the story which isn't written on the page. Lovely. And Quitelys' line art is beautifully complemented by Peter Doherty's exquisite subtle colouring. All round a visual delight.

This is volume one, roll on volume two I say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment