Tuesday 13 October 2015

What's through the irregularly shaped window?

What's through the irregularly shaped window? Ah, a reference that dates me. Still, as always the forest is timeless and today I continued to explore parts of the eastern forest, an area of which my knowledge remains patchy. So my aim is to fill in all the blank spaces on my forest mind map, joining up all the areas I do know.  Today it was the extensive adjoining broad leaf woodlands of Little Holm Hill and Denny Wood. Well, I wasn't disappointed. Little Holm Hill and Denny Wood are woodlands of my favourite type: mature/ancient mixed deciduous, Beech, Oak, Sweet Chestnut and even some Ash with an under-storied by Birch, Rowan, Holly, Hawthorn and Blackthorn, punctuated with open areas of rough grass with a multitude of wild plants. Really nice. There were some beautiful specimens of tree too, as well as some gnarly beasts (as the ancient Oak pictured above) showing their determination to endure. I walked in wonder at the feast of new sights and sounds I'd been served. At one point I could hear the unmistakable sound of antlers clashing and stealthily I crept up on three kings, two of which were locked in noisy combat; they forgot their differences though when they realized I was nearby, and before I could focus my camera they were off deeper into the woodland. On resuming my walk I came across a huge number of Hedgehog Mushrooms, big ones too. Well, it would have been rude not to, so I availed myself of a kilo. I do enjoy a Hedgehog mushroom. Well, what a walk, I think this area deserves much more investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment