Tuesday 20 October 2015

Summer of '67

Every now and again I come across a really stunning piece of graffiti, today was one of those days. Amongst the invasive Holly thicket, on a mature Beech, I found this beautifully executed and dated piece the 'Summer of Love 1967'. There's real skill on show here, an eye for detail and neatness which (in my experience) is rarely found with carved graffiti after the middle years of the last century and most often associated with carvings of the late 1800's. Lovely work. Though I still wrestle with whether I'm for or against carving trees, usually it's the nature of the carving which decides which side I fall on; is it done with love, is it done cleanly with as little damage as possible, has it a message. I wonder how the tree would feel about it, being tattooed, carrying a humans message way way beyond the life of that human, allowing them and their message longevity. I like to think the trees don't mind doing that for people, compared with the other things that effect them a piece of graffiti (usually) has little to no negative effect on them. They're bloody good to us trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment