Thursday 1 October 2015

Illuminated

One of Dorsets famous Jurassic coastal features Durdle Door was illuminated this evening as part of celebrations undertaken in this, the International Year of Light. Although the event was not widely advertised, I'd arrived early just in case and I was right to do so. I'd gone off for a walk along the cliff and beach (the sun blazed as if it was unaware summer had already left) and even though the events weren't scheduled to begin until sundown (just before 1900), by 1700 the beach was filling up and most of the prime spots on the hill and cliff top were taken. In the end there must have been thousands of folk who'd turned up for the one off lighting spectacle; evidence of how fast news can travel these days. I don't know what to expect, excited, I sat patiently as the sun sunk in the cloudless sky and with it the temperature; reminding you it is Autumn. As the sun disappeared light began to flicker and dart across the limestone face of the Door and its arch. As the sky completed its transition to night the light show began proper.  Kaleidoscopes of colour tracked across the stone face of the Door, a giant ammonite was then projected in white on top of the shifting colours, whist the arch, in fact the whole western side of Durdle Door was back lit from a boat out at sea. It was quite a spectacle, although like a firework display, the initial excitement became tired quite quickly.  I took hundreds of photos, none of them very good; I'm trying to only use manual on my camera and really I don't know what I'm doing, although I feel I learnt a lot through my mistakes this evening. Half an hour after it had begun, it was all over. Don't get me wrong, it was very good. Getting away from the site afterwards was not so good. As I made my way with the crowds up from the beach the first thing that struck me was that there appeared a lot of rubbish about, on reaching the top and the holiday park it became clear that people had just parked chaotically all over the place, with no regard for others or the emergency services (who sadly were required). What's wrong with people? When did we become so ignorant, so thoughtless in regard to others. Still, I was pleased I made the effort to go, it was a nice experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment