Saturday 29 November 2014

St Aldhelm's Head sunset

Undefined clouds had hung on the horizon all day, it wasn't until sunset they came to the fore to create a soft hued end to the day. Though, parked way off on the ridge, it was not the end of my walking day, as I had a further 3 miles or so to walk. So off I set inland. Mist was filling the combes which run down to the sea as a veil was drawn over the coast. The initial part of the walk was on the high plateau of St Aldhelm's Head, though halfway you descend into tight combes which snake towards and up the ridge. Although unseen creatures moved in the undergrowth, strange noises and eerie sounds filled the thicket choked valleys and owls hooted from their high perches, there was something in walking through the darkening landscape, I felt at peace, a strange tranquility, I was the most relaxed I'd been all day. Soon I rose up onto the ridge and my car; happy to be back at the car, a piece of me would quite have liked to walk to continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment