Saturday 29 November 2014

Sika

I understand that there are a relatively high number of Sika Deer (Cervus nippon) in Purbeck; I see them regularly, although I usually only see them either singly or in pairs. Down amongst the tumbled rocks, impenetrable thicket and thin grassland below St Aldhelm's Head today I saw 8 or more; accepted, they were in groups of two's and three's, but I can't remember seeing so many in such a restricted area. On my approach they darted quickly away, agile over the rugged terrain in a way a human could never be. I marveled as they traversed acute angled hillsides, more cliff than hill and was amazed at how quickly they disappeared again; masters of camouflage and concealment. Just before I started up the scree, I took a last look over my shoulder and caught a Sika doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment