Tuesday 18 November 2014

It's brinken wet

Brinken's wet, increasingly more wetland that woodland, it's near impossible to walk a straight path. I found myself being cut off by engorged streams and the water filled hollows which snake and criss cross the woods; at several points I was forced to give up and back track until I found an alternative dry route. Brinken has always been wet, though in recent years, after stream remodeling and 'bog woodland restoration', it's become much wetter.  I'm currently reading George Monbiots 'Feral' and if I had reservations about the 'restoration' being undertaken in the forest before, Monbiots book, which discuses rewilding vs. conservation, has lent credence and more to my concerns. I've voiced previously that I found the aims of the restoration, to remove drainage and return the water ways and woodland to a pre-Victorian state, puzzling; why was that point in history chosen? If the purpose is to reverse human manipulation of the forest, why stop there, all it achieves is to turn the clock back 100 years, whereas the forest as we see it is the result of over 5000 years of human intervention. All that's being created is an artificial shadow of an arbitrary past environment, set in conservation aspic. Still, I digress. The woods were warmed by the last of the autumn Sun, which, in conjunction with the watery surroundings, have created wonderful and colourful reflection of autumns majesty. A joy to wander through. Though the leafs are almost gone now and soon these inundated woods will become bare, and wetter, becoming inhospitable and taking on quite an eerie air. That said, I fancy getting some wellies and coming out for a night walk sometime; might be fun, and certainly interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment