Thursday 7 March 2019

There's only one way

The light through the stands was lovely this morning. Setting off on today’s walk my mind was on a blog I'd read at breakfast by a local pagan type, in particular something the author had written about insecurities around whether they were a good or bad pagan. That resonated with me, though for me the anxiety manifests more as am I 'doing' this right? I'm confident in what my aims are, just not always in how I'm doing pursuing them. My rituals, as they are, can be quite mutable, often ad hoc, and always organic in nature (well nearly always, I do sometimes write things down). I like them, and I feel they work for me. Although still I wonder if I shouldn't follow a more established methodology, more ordered ritual. I enjoy organized ceremonies and open rituals, whether with a large group at Stonehenge, Glastonbury and Avebury, or with local groves (of which there are two, both lovely groups of people).  Most of the time though life gets in the way, and I end up following the solitary path. Of course there's no definitive pagan way, more a myriad of paths observing the traditional eight fold year, which happen to coalesce around a broad generally accepted framework. There's no doctrine, so I can't be doing it wrong really. Anyway, as the Rede says 'an you harm none, do as you will'. I don't know. Maybe writing stuff down would help, I've wanted to create my own quarter calls for a woodland setting for a while. I know it's confidence thing, and really the Levellers had it right with 'There's only one way of life, and that's your own'. Nice out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment