Tuesday 26 March 2019

Norden Wood

Mother Nature had laid out the green carpet for us this morning in Norden Wood.  A lush carpet it was too, swathes of ramsons releasing the pungent scent as you passed, their flower heads still tightly closed, dogs mercury, the promise of bluebells and the occasional flash of creamy yellow primrose flowers. Norden's a predominantly Ash woodland, an increasingly vulnerable species, it's very different from most of the woodland I roam, and therefore's even more special to me. Sitting at the base of one of the older trees I sank into the woods, immersed myself in its sounds, mainly birdsong, the canopy was a huge conversation, I couldn't understand what was being conveyed, though I got the gist. Only clear blue was visible through the high branches, and a young sun showed his potential, a gentle breeze swept through, swirling scents and sounds. Norden covers an area of the landward facing side of the Purbeck Ridge and there always appears to be a breeze present. I sat bathing in pure spring, absolute bliss, I could've sat here for an age. I'll be back soon though, soon the ramsons will come into their own, and although I know many ramson woods, there's none to match Norden's majestic beauty in full bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment