Wednesday 13 March 2019

Fairy land

There's always something interesting to find off the beaten track, even if it's only just off the track. Take this 'Fairy Tree' in Wilverley enclosure, I know it's a fairy tree as it has a tiny sign on it saying so, to all intents and purposes it's a 'wishing tree'. The origins of the wishing tree extends way back into history, and possibly beyond, the 'Clootie Tree' is traditionally festooned with strips rag offerings representing wishes, similar practices can be found all over the world. Modern ones have extended the range of objects tied, hammered in (coins are a common item) or left at the tree. A fluttering rag caught my eye as we moved through the stands, it brought a smile, I like finding sites like this, although as I drew closer I saw there was a plethora of other things tied to the trees branches and scattered on the floor. There lies the issue, for me anyway, wood, stone, metal, string, fabric, shell, anything organic, there's quite a lot of scope there, it's all cool, it's the introduction of plastic, tinsel, glitter and similar that concerns me. I'm not criticizing these folk (I'm far from perfect) or their practices (well, their practices, a bit), I just wish people would think a little more, the idea's good, their motivations are good, that's clear by the wishes, it's all that plastic though, and there was a lot of it. Still that gripe aside, it's good to see folk customs persist, and even enjoy a bit of a renaissance. There'd been plenty of activity around this tree too, and there was plenty of interesting stuff hanging about its tree. As well as rag wishes and offerings, the tree was well covered in graffiti, mostly shallow carved individual letters (again, something which I know raises hackles). On one offering I saw '2017', so this tree's been used for a while now, the condition of many of the offerings confirmed it. I was intending to have thorough look about, but there were tinkly things on the branches, and their ceaseless jangling had Geoff all of a tither, so we moved off beyond the open mixed stands and the Fairy Tree, disappearing again into the dark conifers seclusion and quiet. Waiting to see what we find next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment