Monday 12 November 2018

Stan Lee

We knew it was coming, he was 95, but still to hear of his passing, the passing of a comic world leviathan, was very sad. Stan Lee has gone. Stan along with Steve Ditko built the foundations the modern comic universe, their creations coming to define what a comics and comic characters could be. They made their characters superhuman, though so very human, full of emotional conflict and doubt, they made them just like us. I can't remember a time when comics weren't part of my life, it started with the funnies, though took a massive shift in direction when I found 2 bin liners full of American comics in the early 70's. I was only young, after all it was the early 70's, so I mainly followed the stories through the pictures, although that was enough to light a fire in my imagination which has never gone out. I love comics, all comics, I love everything about them, the writing, the art, but most of all I love the escapism and solace they offer. As I say, I love all comics, though Marvel has always been special, they've created a real comic universe, so many characters all existing and interacting with each other in the same space (for the most part), a universe more layered than an onion...and it's still expanding, evolving. I've loved all the characters Stan's created, and all the characters they spawned, some more than others, but all. Stan created my favourite comic characters of all time (in whatever incarnation)...The X-Men. I can't thank him enough for the joy his creations have given me, and continue to give me, or the respite and escape from the oppressions of modernity they've afforded me. Thank you Stan Lee. Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment