Sunday 25 November 2018

Burley Boundary

You can still trace the boundary ditch and bank around Burley Old enclosure, greatly reduced in depth and stature respectively, though still a strong feature in the landscape. I like to walk boundary bank and let my mind wander, noting the admiralty marks on some of the trees I pass, remembering how these woods came to be and how the iron clads saved them for us to enjoy today. The forest still had to give up some of it's treasures for war though, quite a lot was taken a 100 years ago to shore the trenches and prop the tunnels. Though for the most part Burley Old has survived. It was nice out today, the forest is quiet, closed for winter, all, or at least most, of it's residents tucked safely away till spring. I feel like the night watchman, just keeping an eye on things. Burley Old remains my most frequently visited roam.

No comments:

Post a Comment