Monday 18 September 2017

Rock Hills view

Across the forest it's the season when the land is blanketed in rainbow hues, the colours and range of colours are stunning, the more you look, the more shades you see. There's plenty more colour yet to come as autumn works its wonders. The descent from Spy Holms through Rock Hills, down to Red Rise, is surely one of my favourite views in the forest, and for certain the view I have enjoyed on more occasions than any other.  If one roam defined my walks with Norris, it was this one. It's the pocket forest. It has it all, all the New Forest archetype environments: forest lawn, heath, wetland, bog, stream, ancient and veteran woodland.  And all can be explored in 3 to 6 mile walks of near infinite variation. I couldn't hazard a guess as to how many walks we took around this roam over the years. Whilst stood amongst the majestic stands of Burley Old, I call Norris three times, his name echoes through the forest. I shiver. I don't really understand why I do it....my spiritual beliefs, in part, in remembrance, yeah for sure, but mostly I think it's because I miss him, I feel lost as much as loss, and calling his name seems to help. I wondered if I was being weird? I don't know. I don't care to be honest, it works for me. Afterwards I close my eyes and breath deeply, I feel enveloped by calm as the memories held in the wood seep into my mind, then a smile crosses my face as memories of Norris in the stand play in my minds eye. Not ones for staying on the path, every part of this roam has been thoroughly explored over the years, I don't think there's piece of it that doesn't hold a memory or two. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've lost Norris. He was a good companion. Lots of love to you and MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, man, he was a fine hound. I hope you guys are all cool. I've popped by a couple of time on my bike, but you've all been out...or hiding ;) I have something for you, and something to drop off for Flava FLav, I'll pop by soon. Be cool.

    ReplyDelete