Sunday 3 April 2016

Is it?

Whilst checking out the Second World War archaeological remains at Warmell, on a mature Beech tree, we came across this interesting piece of graffiti, it reads 'Floyd Elin of OC'. I remember coming across wartime graffiti on my previous visit, could this be an example? Floyd's not really a British name, American maybe? The American USSAF were stationed here during the war.  And, 'of OC' could that be Orange County, California? Well, I put 'Floyd Elin of Orange County' into the search engine and got up an obituary of a World War Two veteran of that name, who died in 2013. Was it him? I've contacted the Orange County registration department to see if they can give me any more information on Floyd Elin, and now eagerly await their reply. I've found out that 474th Fighter group (comprising of the 428th, 429th and 430th fighter squadrons) of the American 9th Air Force arrived here in 1944 from Oxnard Flight Strip in California. Coincidence? Or was Floyd Elin a member of the 474th Fighter group? I'll post more when I know. 

Man, it would so cool if I could connect a piece of graffiti to its creator, and find out more about him. It's something I strove for, but as yet not achieved. If I could link the graffiti to the person, I'd love to send the family photos of it, of the World War Two remains of the area and some of the surrounding countryside in order to show the family where Floyd served during the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment