Saturday 2 April 2016

An Evening with Gothic Chicken (unplucked) @ Weymouth Old Town Hall 2.4.2016

The day so far had been great, wandering through the beautiful West Dorset landscape, visiting archaeological sites and taking in the views, but our day was about to get even better. It was time for An Evening with Gothic Chicken (unplucked), performed at Weymouth Old Town Hall.

We'd arrived at 'An Evening with Gothic Chicken (unplucked)' as an event highlighted on friendface by a friend. On checking them out and digging their sound, I bought a ticket and album, forthwith!  It transpired that 3 of the bands members were formally in a band I like, 'The Lucky Bishops', which bode well. Gothic Chicken are (from left to right) Marco Rossi - Guitar, vocals; Alan Strawbridge - Bass, vocals (former Lucky Bishop); Luke Adams - Drums, vocals (former Lucky Bishop) and Tom Hughes - Keys, vocals (former Lucky Bishop). 

The gig was promoted as an 'acoustic' performance of their album 'Lift the Cobweb veil', yeah right, the definition of acoustic they're using was a new one on me. That's no complaint mind. The album's great and we were looking forward to hearing it live; we weren't to be disappointed. From the start the sound was great, each band member playing their part to perfection. We were gifted a swirl of groovy tripped out psychedelic sounds, man. Toms key wrangling was top shelf (and that from a man who was airlifted directly from his sick bed to the keys), you can't beat that keyboard organ type sound ting when done well, and so well was it done. I love that sound, man. Lukes drumming was driving the tracks along in a timely fashion, keeping it pacey. On more than a couple of occasion I though 'man, he's bashing that out'; acoustic you say? Alan dropped some great bass and pulled some smashing faces whilst delivering his vocals, which I must say were almost like an additional instrument at times. Class! Whilst Marco twiddled and noddled his guitar very nicely, very nicely indeed! You could say that Marcos' guitar was the only thing remotely acoustic in the evening, and then only remotely.  Marco also beautifully delivered some witty through to weird lyrics, and gave entertaining introductions to each track. Each band member offered up great individual vocal performances, which when combined created some fantastic harmonies. The perfect vehicle to deliver some far out psychedelic numbers, in that psychedelic style which is uniquely British. It would be fair to say, I f*ckin loved it!

And that was only the first set!  After a short intermission it was time for set two - a set of covers, so loving covered it could bring a tear to eye, no really, they were great. The band had by now given up all pretence that there was anything remotely acoustic about the evening and rocked. By this point elements of the crowd had had enough and could take no more, they rose to their feet, the seating was moved aside and the seething mass danced and frooged in visible ecstasy. I for one couldn't get the smile from my face, nor would I want to.  There were some great covers from, Thunderclap Newmans' Something In The Air, to Canned Heats' Going up the country and Manfred Manns' My name is Jack, finishing with the Monkeys' Daydream believer, and a world of top tracks in between. Again it would be fair to say, I loved it! As did everyone. And do you know another thing that made the evening, the band all appeared to be loving it too, man, throwing each other beaming smiles. And that's when magic is created. Afterwards I got to thank the band, and they all came across as lovely guys.

The gig was sold out, and you could understand why. I can't wait to see them again, and recommend if they pass your way you get a ticket toot suit. For now I shall have to contend myself with wearing out the grooves on my copy of 'Lift the Cobweb veil'. Here's a link to their Bandcamp page if you're interested, go on, treat yourself https://gothicchicken.bandcamp.com/

I must take a moment to comment on the venue and the crowd. Weymouth Old Town Hall is, as you'd imagine, an modest sized old building, full of character, which is towards the end of a program of restoration. Staffed by nice friendly types, and has been restored nicely.  I'm sure it'll have a great future, it certainly makes for a nice music venue. And the crowd, well, the crowd comprised of a really lovely bunch of (predominantly local I think) folk, who were welcoming and friendly, and help create a warm atmosphere and certainly brought some energy. Chatty too. All round a fantastic and memorable evening, added to which I met up with a couple of lovely friends I'd not seen in far too long. My only complaint? Shut up! As if I'd have any complaints

2 comments:

  1. I concur; that event was an excellent discovery on your part and no aspect of the day could have been better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, man, I thank you for your company, it was a terrific day :)

    ReplyDelete