Thursday 28 April 2016

Cockoo!

I heard my first Cockoo (Cuculus canorus) this afternoon whilst walking in Verditch Wood, hark, the herald of Spring does sing. I've never seen a Cockoo, yeah, I hear them every year, but have never been able to spot one, no matter how hard I look. Still, I'm not grumbling, just to hear them is a treat. And, not todays' only treat. Along with the birdsong was the waking wildlife, rabbits hopped into cover as we approached, squirrels scampered up trunks and out on to the most ridiculous of boughs and deer tried to stand motionless as we passed, although they couldn't hold their bottle and were off into the green. Plants are also all getting their thing on. Amongst the bluebells the white fragrant blooms of Ramsons can be spotted, and smelt, I collected some flower tops, along with a bag of nettles to add to tonights' dinner.  Always a bonus to collect some wild food whilst out walking. The trees too are all coming out now. It wont be long before the canopy closes over encapsulating the woodland and the views through the stands are truncated, adding another of mystery and wonder to your walk. I'll never spot a Cockoo then!

No comments:

Post a Comment