Monday 27 October 2014

Mouldy Ceps

The papers have been running the same old seasonal stories about the hoards of 'foreigns' sweeping in lines through the forest, collecting any and all fungi they come across, it's an invasion, it's theft, it's not right and most importantly.....it's not true. Well, not that I know of.  Though every October the same stories. I would have thought that not advertising the fact that it's mushroom season and that several mushrooms may have value associated with them, would be a far better way to safeguard the forest fungi. Though, I don't really think that's the main purpose of the articles, which I'm sure hit their mark. On Sunday I visited my favourite mushroom roam and was surprised to find, not too many, smaller young Ceps, enough for two good meals and to refill my airing cupboard, but more interestingly, loads of larger Ceps, perfect for drying, and even more that were going over, soft and coated in mildew or mould. There were no signs of trimming or that anybody had been picking.  Again today I walked extensively in another part of the forest and saw plenty of Ceps gone over. It would appear the medias stories, in the areas I roam at least, are as I say, not true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment