Tuesday 15 March 2022

Lily

 'Lily was here 7th April 1969' 

It's not often you come across female graffiti, or is it? On finding Lily's scribe in Anses Wood, I was struck by an assumption I've always made about the graffiti I find...that for the most part it's been carved by boys/men.  I suppose it just seems a male thing to do, as does carrying the penknife; often the subject matter too would support that assumption. I understand modern Graffiti/street art, which you'd have imagined to be more equitable gender wise is still dominated by males creating the bulk of work. Taking that into consideration, and how gendered past societies have been, I still believe that I don't come across female graffiti very often, and that the great majority of the historic carved graffiti in the forest would've been carved by males, and that that probably continues to be the case for contemporary carvings.

No comments:

Post a Comment