Sunday 8 September 2019

Oh Beehive

Two faces of bees in the forest, professional bee keeping hives placed out to exploit the forests heathery bee gardens, and a wild colony hidden in one of Red Rise's oaks. You see the professional hives out every year (soften a dozen or so grouped together), the forest has one of the largest beekeeping associations in the country, and produces some fine honey. The wild colony I first spotted one spring some years back, each year I've checked on the colony, and they appear to be doing okay. I don't know how long it'll endure though, a queen only has a 3 to 4 year lifespan. I don't know if the colony then disbands or another queen steps up and the colony continues on.  Thinking about it, I'm sure it was longer than 4 years ago I first came this tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment