Saturday 7 September 2019

MIstleberry enclosure

MIstleberry enclosure in Mistleberry Wood near Sixpenny Handley in the Chase, recorded as an Iron Age Hillfort, and I'd suggest a misclassification. A lovely spot though. It’s certainly an enclosure of some kind, although with such slight ditches and ramparts (which are hardly defencive) and its open ended oval shape, and tapering in depth, width and height earthen features, I don't believe it's a hillfort. So what might it be? Maybe it could possibly be an unfinished hillfort (although it's not that big), a defended farmstead, or communal corral or meeting place maybe, or is it the prehistorians go to, and my particular favourite, a ritual site.  I don't know. I don't know if much or any research has been undertaken, beyond the cursory site visit by the Historic Monuments commission sometime early/middle last century leading to its classification. A desk top investigation might be a nice little project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment